Tuesday, May 19, 2009

reading and writing

Joel is learning to read now. He read a Biscuit early reader to me in the car the other day and surprised me with this new skill. So, we are dutifully encouraging him these days with more from Allison's early reader collections (he's reading her guided reading books from kindergarten with us, etc.).
Last night he wanted to write words on paper, so he spent a lot of time asking what words he should write, then sounding them out and writing them. He wrote yes, leapster (l-e-p-s-t-r), blanket (b-l-a-k-i-t), tooth, teeth, bear (b-e-r), and we ended the night with pillow (p-i-l-o).

As with any new skill, he's obsessed with mastering it.
I think it's keeping him up at night.
After I left him in his room, he was still thinking of words to spell. As he was getting in his bed, he stopped for a minute, thinking, then said, "I can spell 'block' in the morning."

No comments:

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD."
Psalm 139:1-6 (NIV)