Tuesday, August 13, 2013

This is a Bible study about tacos

My commute home today was long and no fun.
There was a wreck on the highway, a wreck on the side-road I took to acoid the wreck on the highway, a wreck on the second higway I needed to get on, and onlooker delays on the third highway.

Also, I was getting hungry.

Along my detour route I passed a Taco Bell. 

Mmmmmmm...taco....
I could smell it.

I called my husband and said, "I'm craving a Taco Bell taco." 
He said, "Are you pregnant?"
Hell-to-the-NO.
"I JUST WANT A TACO. And there are wrecks on all these highways, and a thunderstorm is chasing me."
He said, "OK, sweetie."

I figured my healthy, vegetarian lunch would afford me a little cheat, so I decided to hit up the next TB along the way. Take-out Tex-Mex is as common as heat in August around here, so I kept driving.

And driving.

And driving.

And I came upon a Taco Bueno.

Out of sheer fear that my taco quest would fail, and hoping upon hope that an alternate taco would satisfy the craving and fulfill my desire for a dietary cheat, I pulled into the Bueno drive-thru.

The service was nice enough, and I'd ordered water instead of a soda to maintain some sense of "better choices" decorum.

But that's where the tacomoon ended, friends.

My taco was holey.

Not Jesus holy, but truly, wholely HOLE-Y.
Like BIG GAPING HOLE in my tortillia hole-y, spilling taco meat and lettuce and tomato bits all over my New Blue Dress.
AND, my water tasted like dirt. I hope to God and Jesus that had nothing to do with the restaurant's proximity to the city landfill.

(Let it be noted that this post contains three mentions of the sovereign Lord of the universe, so I can now be classified as a Christian writer and this post, therefore, is a Bible study.)

No bueno, Bueno.

Fortunately, out of spite for that dadgum Bueno taco, a Taco Bell appeared along the last leg of my detour.

Praise. The. Lord.
(This is the worship portion of our study)

And I got the greasy, juicy goodness, plus a root beer to wash the landfill taste out of my mouth.
With praise and thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Stained Glass Views said...

Thank Jesus for Tacos!!!!

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD."
Psalm 139:1-6 (NIV)