Tuesday, July 24, 2012

vegan horse tail hair

It has recently come to my attention that I may be allergic to my hair products. Perhaps it was a day of constantly wanting to scream and scalp myself that tipped me off. Or maybe it was my doctor, who suggested I stay on my allergy medicine and see if that helps. It did.


So I decided I should find hair products that don’t offend my delicate scalp. I was discussing hair concerns with my friend Kate, who is beautiful and therefore an expert in beautifulness, and she suggested shampoo from the health food store that didn’t have something in the ingredients. I don’t remember what the “something” was, but I assume any shampoo at the health food store would be absent it.

This weekend I found myself in the health food store buying expensive vitamins and other natural crap with a friend, so I looked at some health food shampoo while we were there. From what I could tell there were two kinds – the no-smell kind, and the scented kind (scented, of course, with natural stuff), which cost a dollar more. My friend Mary Beth, who is also beautiful, and girly, therefore being an expert in beautifulness and girl-ness, recommended the scented kind because it’s worth the extra dollar to smell nice.

I’m so glad I have friends who keep me on the right path. Otherwise, I’d still be scratching my scalp off and screaming, while also not smelling like chamomile.

Anyway, I bring home my new nature shampoo and conditioner and it’s delightful. After I have clean, chamomile-smelling hair and a calm scalp, I decide to look closely at the ingredients to see what exactly is in this magic no-itch hair care. I first see that it’s VEGAN, which I guess is important if your hair is not a meat-eater. And the rest of the ingredients are something like this:

Chamomile, natural stuff, HOPS, organic natural stuff, HORSE TAIL, other stuff

And then I thought: I JUST WASHED MY HAIR WITH VEGAN HORSES’ ASS SHAMPOO.

And it’s totally ok if I say “ass” because ass is in the Bible. Though I’m not sure it’s on the approved list of Christian swear words.

And HOPS? That’s the stuff that’s in BEER. I know this because we brew beer. Lots of it. Ok, maybe just two batches. SO FAR.

And really my husband does the brewing, not me. But I support the habit and like telling people about it. He can make ginger ale too, but that’s not nearly as cool to talk about.

OK, true confessions here: not only do I wash my hair with beer flavored vegan horses’ ass shampoo, but we love Jesus and we make beer too.

2 comments:

Kim said...

maggie, I love you. horse's ass shampoo. Doesn't that make it not vegan? It uses parts of the animal for the shampoo. I'm pretty sure vegans don't use any animal stuff at all. ?

maggie said...

I know! I thought the same thing. BI mean, that's totally false advertising, and my HAIR could get offended.

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD."
Psalm 139:1-6 (NIV)