Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Esther - Session 4

I've been involved in Beth Moore's Esther study with a group of women this summer and, man, is this a good study! Beth was on fire in the Session 4 video. Very convicting. One thing she said right at the outset was very convicting -- "We can protect ourselves right out of our calling."
Oh how that brought to mind the many, many times I've been faced with decisions and chose the "safe" or less troublesome route. I hate to think of what I have missed, and what wonderful experience of God's glory I could have had, if only I'd put myself out there a little bit.

I'm not just saying that by way of throwing myself a pity party. The fact is that God has a plan, and he'll carry it out with or without my joyful participation. But, wouldn't I rather be with him, rather than out there on my own, flailing around? Like Mordecai told Esther in chapter 4 of the book: (my paraphrase) God can deliver the Jews with or without you, but maybe you're the Queen right now, so that you can play a role in their deliverance. Essentially, he's saying "Step up, girlfriend! You're either in, or you're out."

So, if I ask myself if I'm "in" or "out" I do, undeniably, whole-heartedly choose "in." And that means taking steps toward in-ness (yep, made that one up) no matter the cost.
The cost for Esther was potential death. How lucky am I that the cost to me is nothing more than a little time, maybe a little money, maybe some energy. Seems a small price to pay to be "in" with the working-out of God's plan.

Who knows but that for such a time as this, I was meant to be in such a place as this?

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so glad you're sharing all this stuff right now. It's very encouraging. I don't do the "safe," choice as much as I order my life a certain way to obtain blessings that I see God give others (kids, nice home, whatever.) It's all about the control factor, and I miss the blessings He has for me in the process, which is very much about participating with Him in what He's doing.

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD."
Psalm 139:1-6 (NIV)